ReThink Health Research & Evaluation Lead Position
The Fannie E. Rippel Foundation is devoted to seeding innovations in health. We convene leaders from within and outside the health sector and work with them to enact innovations that drive health system performance at both the national and regional levels.
ReThink Health, our flagship collaborative initiative, was founded in 2007 with some of the nation’s most influential change-makers in health, economics, politics, business, and energy. ReThink Health is an alliance of individuals and organizations working to assure the conditions for healthy health systems in regions across the U.S. We are testing innovative ideas and identifying promising new ways to catalyze change when faced with the vexing challenges of our health system. The momentum and impact of these efforts has been building and is opening new opportunities for growth. This research and evaluation position is being introduced into the ReThink Health organizational structure to help support our existing research efforts and to enable us to have greater impact in the fieldwork and projects we undertake in the future.
This research and evaluation lead position is envisioned as a member of the research team and thought partner to Ruth Wageman, PhD, the Director of Research for ReThink Health. S/he will report to Dr. Wageman. The research and evaluation position will be a key contributor in furthering the mission of the organization to be a steward for the improvement of health and health care systems. S/he will possess applied knowledge and experience in areas such as, but not limited to: the social sciences, including topics such as organizational learning, group dynamics, and systems dynamics, especially of health systems. S/he will have training and experience in conducting action research, participating in the design and implementation of large scale field interventions, quantitative and qualitative research methods. The successful candidate will aspire to do work that both contributes to the development of well grounded theory and enables informed action in social systems. S/he will have project management experience – has independently conceptualized, designed and implemented research projects and measures in the field. S/he will work effectively in a fast-paced and geographically dispersed work environment, be a flexible self-starter who is adept at virtual, technologically based communications and be a collaborative team player.
The ReThink Health Post-Doc Researcher will be responsible for the following tasks. As the nature and focus of ReThink Health evolves, these responsibilities may also evolve.
Research & Evaluation Activities
- To conduct research within the scope of the mission, goals and objectives of the organization, using a variety of research and data gathering methodologies.
- To make contributions to ReThink Health’s current research methods and processes related to leading change, groups, community engagement and leadership processes
- To contribute to the design of evaluation instruments for action research, and the implementation of evaluation and learning processes across projects
- To assist in the production of research reports and/or publications for dissemination to the wider ReThink Health community of stakeholders and leaders
- To produce and publish papers which have a positive effect on the organization’s ability to communicate the impact and results of ReThink Health
- To proactively develop relationships with key stakeholders relevant to the research activities underway
Conceptual Work on ReThink Health’s Theory of Change
- To contribute to the conceptual work associated with ReThink Health’s stewardship area of focus.
- Understand and contribute to the development of collaborative leadership teams
Project Management & ReThink Health Team Member
- To lead a research project from start to finish (needs editing)
- To understand basic business processes.
- To participate in internal meetings and be a fully involved and contributing member of the team and the larger organization
- To attend external conferences, meetings and community gatherings related to moving the mission and contributions of the organization forward
The ideal candidate is one who will be able to:
- S/he will enjoy working with evolving priorities and will be committed to making a significant contribution to the current research base and body of work guiding ReThink Health today.
- Possesses the self-motivation, energy, and mental agility that will allow him/her to be a full thought partner to the Director of Research and other team members.
- Sustain focus and high energy in the midst of change.
S/he will be comfortable working both collaboratively and independently, and have the maturity and ability to understanding how research contributes to the overall mission of the Foundation and ReThink Health. In addition, s/he will be comfortable in situations that call for creative problem solving and entrepreneurial approaches, and where there are few precedents and frequent iterations.
Education and Work Experience
- A Masters degree from a research oriented program in social sciences or related, relevant field, PhD desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Required – Research
- Solid expertise in designing survey and interview protocols, validation processes for measures, and evaluation and measurement methodologies pertaining to the collaborative leadership of change in complex systems
- Comfortable developing tools and methods useful to leaders for building, developing, improving collaboration – among leaders, across institutions and in leadership teams across sectors
- Experience in conducting creative team interventions to support and accelerate collaboration, shared learning, and reflection in action
- Ability to design interventions where results and lessons learned are replicable and scalable across projects, communities and sectors
Required – Evaluation
- Solid expertise in designing and executing evaluation practices and protocols for field engagements as well as designing baseline assessments and methods for measuring progress
- Able to collect and analyze data, utilizing special skills for data analysis as may relate to the questions/subjects being researched
Required – Other
- Add in lead, management skills
- Have proven track record in writing excellent research reports, publications and presentations that communicate effectively across both academic and non-academic communities
- Experience with project management and team leadership
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, networking and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work with complexity and competing demands
- Comfortable working with large, multidisciplinary teams whose members work remotely
- Excellent problem solving capabilities, based on a creative and entrepreneurial approach
- Able to anticipate needs, work independently, and seek clarification when necessary
- Understands and embraces the collaborative culture of the Foundation and ReThink Health
- Experience in working in a research team environment.
- Familiarity with the changing landscape of health and health care reform, social policy, and social change.
Email resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Careers@rippelfoundation.org
The Foundation offers all candidates equal opportunity for employment and advancement based on their ability and without regard to race, religion, creed, color, sex, veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, civil union, domestic partnership status, gender identity and expression, learning disability, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, familial status, genetic information, citizenship status, physical or mental disability or other classification or characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. All employment decisions will be made on a nondiscriminatory basis so as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity.